Our Process With all projects, whether small or large, we utilize a collaborative, integrated design process that addresses the whole of green building issues. Our work is innovative yet realistic, employing the best of both time-tested and pioneering design and construction techniques. Taking an educational approach, we enjoy working with committed and conscientious clients and communities.
We provide a wide range of architectural and consulting services:
• Building design and space planning
• Custom home design as well as remodels and additions
• Site analysis and site design
• Construction drawings and specifications
• Accessibility evaluation (for ADA and Fair Housing regulations)
• Construction monitoring
• Feasibility studies
• Hourly consultations for advice and insights into the design and construction process
Our staff consists of architects and designers. Depending on the size of a project, we work with and/or retain outside consultants for mechanical and electrical engineering, geotechnical (soil) engineering, landscape design, market analysis and development, interior design, and so on.
Our registered architects can:
• Provide consultation with emphasis on sustainable and low-toxin design approaches, with detailed advice as required throughout the building process.
• Design and prepare construction drawings for renovation or new construction.
• Research and write specificaitons of sustainable and non-toxic building materials.
• Provide details of specific building and installation methods.
• Assist in finding a qualified builder, via negotiation or bid.
• Observe construction and administer the construction contract to ensure proper installation.
Our Clients and Partners
We serve a diverse group of clients:
• Homeowners • Non-profit Organizations • Businesses • Housing Co-ops and Developers • Cohousing Groups • Church and Service Groups • Municipalities
• Single family homes - custom designs in many styles, including all-natural homes, energy efficientshomes, earth-sheltered homes, and passive solar homes - including new construction as well as renovations and additions
• Multi-family housing for co-ops and owners & developers
• Work with cohousing groups to provide architectural and site design, as well as coordination, planning and technical services
• Commercial buildings, new and remodeling
• Community Centers
• Child Care Centers
• Church additions - educational, multi-purpose and wheelchair accessibility
• Shelters for homeless and victims of domestic abuse
• Home remodelings, interior and exterior, for wheelchair accessibility and full-function living
• Historic Restoration
A different way to practice We work on two fronts, on our design projects and on community efforts. To successfully operate a design practice in this way means that we have to discover a mix - finding grant monies to provide needed services and develop innovative projects, and working within the market system as "normal" architects. This mix continuously changes.
Design Coalition and staff are members of: