Geiger & Williamson Blacksmith Shop Restoration
Built in 1872 by William Heitkamp, an early Madison German immigrant and blacksmith, this 138 year-old building on Williamson Street became the Geiger & Williamson Blacksmith Shop by 1890. (see photo below) With the assistance of an historic storefront restoration grant from the City of Madison and restoration design assistance from John Freiburger and Design Coalition Architects, the building will soon return to it's original 1872 appearance. The completely remodeled second floor will become a residence and the rebuilt first floor, with it's new "tree trunk" structural support columns and exposed stone masonry walls will, when completed, be available for lease as a restaurant or retail shop.
Award: The Madison Trust for Historic Preservation honored the restoration in 2012.
Above: A photo from the 1970s shows it as a storefront for a plumbing and heating company.
Right: Remodeled once again in the early 80's, the building was most recently the home of Wisconsin Center for the Paper Arts.
Above: A design drawing depicting the restoration details for the renovation.
Below: The renovated building just after completion